The VBC PhD Programme is a research-oriented educational programme that aims to support the scientific training of young graduates. Students learn through original (supervised) research projects; at the end of their studies they will be able to carry out independent research projects. The VBC PhD Programme ensures that its students have protected time, mentorship, core facilities and a vibrant intellectual atmosphere.
The VBC PhD Programme has two main components:
- Supervised research project
- Flexible curriculum: Lectures and seminar series, workshops, practical courses and journal clubs
Furthermore the VBC PhD students:
- Present a short, formal talk on their PhD research to the VBC scientific community, once a year.
- Have a thesis committee, which meets once a year to discuss the research plan and its progress or any other issues that may arise.
- Contribute to the management of the institutes, through representatives, and organize events that promote networking and career development, such as an annual retreat and a symposium.
- Are encouraged to present their scientific discoveries at international meetings. Most students attend several conferences during their time at the VBC.
- May participate in short-term projects in other labs, allowing them to meet scientists at other research institutions.
Twice a year the programme organizes an international call to recruit outstanding candidates from all over the world. The recruitment is based on finding the best match between applicants and group leaders on campus (see application deadlines).